Programs & Projects
Houston Southeast is undertaking a number of programs designed to broaden the base of information and knowledge needed to improve and increase opportunities and enhance the lives and lifestyles of residents. Here is an overview of some of the initiatives and activities that are completed or currently underway:
Transportation & Local Mobility
- Old Spanish Trail/Almeda, Houston Southeast Joint Infrastructure Plan. In an effort to identify, prepare for, and maximize the potential of future opportunities, the OST/Almeda Corridors Redevelopment Authority and Houston Southeast are working together on a critical initiative to further improve access in the area: The development of a plan to assist the Authority and the District to identify, fund, and implement federally eligible mobility infrastructure improvements.
Enhanced Public Safety
- Constable and Bike Patrols. Houston Southeast provides a high-profile demonstration of our commitment to community safety by employing seven Harris County Precinct 7 constables and 14 off-duty Houston Police Department officers to patrol and provide law enforcement services to residents and businesses throughout our neighborhoods. Anyone seeking to report a public safety concern can do so by clicking here to submit a patrol alert; a Houston Southeast constable will stop by this area three times during their shift to address the concerns.
- Anti-Graffiti Initiative. In an effort to prevent graffiti from marring structures in Houston Southeast, we have created a log of incidences that helps us not only monitor and abate such occurrences but also to study and better understand gang activity.
Business & Economic Development
- Disadvantaged Business Enterprise (DBE) Goals. Houston Southeast is revising our Disadvantaged Business Enterprise goals to include a more comprehensive program and a more effective method to seek out prospective DBE firms. This policy will ensure that the economic benefits of growth and prosperity in our community are available to all qualified vendors.
- Community Job Fairs. These events, which enable area residents to meet with prospective employers, are held in partnership with organizations and firms around Houston Southeast and underscore our focus to bring more jobs to more people in our neighborhoods.
Environmental Urban Design & Visual Improvements
- Capital Improvements Maintenance and Arborist Contract. Landscape designer M2L Associates is conducting an assessment of all capital improvements and trees that are Houston Southeast’s responsibility. This will provide critical insight on future capital improvement and urban forestry needs and costs while serving as a road map on how we can build upon the District’s traditional, natural beauty.
- Right of Way Maintenance. The District will continue to enhance the District’s image and amenities by providing trash removal, graffiti abatement, and landscape services in the right-of-way (on all major corridors) within the District.
Marketing, Public Relations & Perception Enhancement
- Social Media. As part of the rebranding initiative, we are also using social media to promote Houston Southeast’s sub-areas to the widest possible audience and to ensure that our residents and businesses stay fully informed about the advantages of living in the District.